COVID-19, better known as Coronavirus, has swept the nation. In January 2020 the United States had its first confirmed case. It took a toll from there. Now there are over 1,000,000 cases nationwide, and 425,107 current cases in the United States. COVID-19 literally took over life as we knew it. Now we need to figure out, where do we go from here.
In the beginning stages of COVID-19, there was a presumption that African Americans could not get it. This leads to a blind-sided effect. Now over half of the people getting COVID-19 are African Americans and unfortunately, they are dying from it. There are currently four states, where over 50% of people that have COVID-19 are African Americans. These states are Wisconsin, Louisiana, D.C. and Chicago. The African American community needs to educate themselves on what’s really going on. This is very serious. We need to stop taking it as some sort of joke. We need to make a change!
Where do we go from here? This is a question we need to ask our community. When will we take this more seriously? How many more cases or even deaths have to happen. Let’s get our focus back! We know as African Americans, we work better as a team. We need to start listening to the precautions, first being staying home. Understanding that the freedom we always had is currently being taken for a short period of time. We need to remember this is not going to always be. Instead of dreading this time, appreciate the life you currently have. Take this time to realize what you’ve been taking for granted. Build relationships like never before. This is a time to get “you” back, from the normal stressors of the day. Below are other precautions we should take.
- Maintain cleaning of house, car and cellphones (using disinfectant wipes and Lysol spray)
- Frequently wash your hands throughout the day for 20 seconds and use sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face
- Wearing gloves to the stores, and throwing them away before entering your car
- When wearing gloves be mindful of cross-contamination
- Wear a mask if available (remove gloves first before removing mask)
- When home clean off groceries and vegetables
- Maintain social distancing of 6ft apart when at store or taking a walk
- When coming home remove shoes at the door
- It is recommended after being outside to change and wash your clothes
- Communicate with loved ones via phone or video chat
- Limiting contact with others that are not in your household
- Avoid social gatherings
- Find a hobby
This list is for both your physical and mental health. We understand that times like this can make us feel alone. But remember we are in this together! Let’s Do Right!
Below is a link showing the statistic on African Americans getting COVID-19
Check out this link on how to correctly wash your hands during the Coronavirus
The Center for Closing the Health Gap in Greater Cincinnati is dedicated to helping you and your family live healthy lifestyles. We are currently updating the Health Gap website with COVID-19 community resources, this site is to give information about the Coronavirus. If you know any useful information please sumbit it on the site, visit us online: https://covid19communityresources.com/; Facebook.com/CloseHealthGap; Twitter.com/CCHGcincy and Instagram @health_gap. For additional information, please contact 513-585-9879.