By Dr. Anisa Shomo, Herald Beauty Contributor
Spring is my favorite season. Maybe because I was born in the Spring. Maybe because it is hard to resist the Spring after the dark, cold, and snowy days of the Winter. The reason does not matter. I love Spring. I love the flowers. I love the rain. I love the mild temperatures. I love all of it. One thing that people may not consider when they compare Winter is Spring is the difference in skin texture. Have you ever noticed how itchy and dry your skin becomes in the Winter? When Easter arrives, some of us may feel ready to break out of a shell of dry skin. The cold and dry air of the Winter season can cause dry flaky skin. The way that we care for our skin over the Winter can make it worse. For example, during the Winter many people enjoy hot showers and baths which wash away the natural oils of our skin. Fabrics that are warm, such as wool, can be irritating to the skin. Harsh chemicals, that are present in many soaps and body washes, can remove skin oils as well. As we shed our Winter skin, it is important to make a few key changes to help our skin recover:
- Only shower/bathe once per day.
- Lower the temperature to warm water instead of hot for your showers/baths.
- Use a mild, natural soap.
- Rose & Bee Soap Company is a Black- and woman-owned business that offers a plethora of organic soap options that smell wonderful and are gentle on your skin.
-Aloe Vera and Cucumber Mint, 7.50 for 4 oz, is one of my favorites
-Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey, 7.50 for 4 oz, has the most amazing lemongrass scent that is great way to start you day
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap, Almond scent, if you prefer an organic liquid soap 14.75 for 16 oz on Amazon
- Apply a grapeseed or apricot oil to your skin while you are still slightly moist from the water of the shower/bath.
Wishing you the best in your skin care journey, Happy Spring!