Northern Kentucky University’s School of the Arts (NKU SOTA), in association with LAG Productions, LLC and Jazz Alive, Inc with support from Ohio Arts Council, will be hosting a four-day long event from March 23-26, 2022, entitled “Sistahs Who Swing.” The event will celebrate and highlight African American women artists, educators, and businesswomen. There will be discussion and reflection on a variety of issues that all women in business and the arts face in the pursuit of successful careers and lives.
A panel of successful African American women will present issues relating to careers in the arts, education, and business. Internationally renowned and award-winning jazz vocalist René Marie will be the guest artist-in-residence/clinician for this event. The celebration will conclude on Saturday, March 26 with a performance by René Marie and the NKU Jazz Faculty. The event is supported by the NKU SOTA Tom and Christine Neyer Family Visiting Artist Fund and NKU College of Arts and Sciences Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Fellowship. All events are free and open to the public.
Thursday, March 24
Sistahs Who Swing Panel Discussion
“Staking your Place: African American Women in Business, Education & the Arts”
10:30 a.m.-noon // Otto Budig Theater – NKU University Center, UC 270
The panel is composed of successful African American women in the Greater Cincinnati area:
- Panelist Moderator: Laura Gentry, President, Jazz Alive
- Music: Kathy Wade, Jazz Vocalist and CEO, Learning Through Art, Inc.
- Education/Music: Angela Powell Walker, Artistic Director, SCPA
- Business/Culinary: Taren Plesinger-Kenebrew, Local Business Entrepreneur
- Community: Virinda Garland Doddy, NKU Alum – Southgate School Alum, 2nd Vice President Northern Kentucky Branch NAACP
- Artist/Educator/Business: Adoria L. Maxberry, Artist and Owner, Most outGROWing, LLC
- Literature: Shelia Williams, Author
Keynote Speaker / Art & Design Speaker Series: Josie Love Roebuck
1-2 p.m. // Otto Budig Theater – NKU University Center, UC 270
Friday, March 25
Guest Speaker: René Marie
10:30 a.m.-noon // NKU Greaves Concert Hall
Saturday, March 26
René Marie performance with NKU Jazz Faculty
8 p.m. // NKU Greaves Concert Hall
For more information and to make reservations for select events, please visit nku.edu/sws.