By Frances Russ
Cincinnati Public Schools
Summer 2021 will be like no other! Join us for lots of fun and learning at Cincinnati Public School.
This summer school is not what you think it is. Second-graders, you’ll explore Cincinnati’s food history as part of the social studies curriculum. Fifth-graders, as part of your social studies curriculum, you’ll look at the economic impact of sports in the community. Now doesn’t this summer sound like no other?
Summer Scholars is set for June 2-30 and is available to all CPS students, preschool — grade 12.
Academic classes will be offered in the morning and enrichment opportunities, such as art, music and theater, will be available in the afternoon. Each school is designing its summer learning program based on the needs of its students. A grade-level guide of what students can expect to learn is available here.
Summer Scholars is FREE to all CPS families. Parents have the option of signing up for a half-or full-day session. Transportation and meals will be provided. Masks will be required and students must abide by all safety protocols. Please contact your child’s school to see if there are any openings.
Quick notes about CPS’ Summer Scholars program:
- CPS Reimagined Summer Scholars program is focused on accelerating learning for all students
- It’s not the summer school of yesterday
- It’s intended to be FUN and help students CATCH UP on learning during the pandemic and prepare for next year
- Investments in our students are from CARES ACT $$$’s
- First time ever, we’ve opened up this tremendous opportunity to ALL PK—12 CPS Students
- Each school community has based summer learning on the needs of the students which vary
- It’s all students who want to catch up on learning impacted by the pandemic
- Different than typical summer school with a focus on preparation for the next school year
- Those who want to progress their next year learning
- For parents that want to see their children progress, learn, prepare for next year as well
For more information, go to: https://www.cps-k12.org/academics/summer-scholars