By Xavier Athletics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Xavier dropped an 83-71 contest vs Texas in the NCAA Regional Semifinals on Friday night at the T-Mobile Center in front of 17,429 fans.
The No. 3 seed Musketeers end their season with a 27-10 overall record. The No. 2 seed Longhorns improved to 29-8 on the year and advanced to the NCAA Midwest Regional Finals vs Miami (FL) on Sunday, March 26.
The Longhorns led from start-to-finish and took their first double-figure lead (26-16) with 6:10 left in the first half. Texas outscored Xavier, 14-7, to end the half and take a 17-point lead (42-25) into the break.
Texas took its largest lead of the game, 67-43, with 10:09 left in regulation. Xavier battled back to get within 13 points twice in the closing minute of the game before a Colby Jones three pointer as time expired made the final ledger, 83-71.
• Adam Kunkel scored a game-high 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting. The 21 points matched his season high in scoring (also scored 21 points vs Fairfield on Nov. 15). The senior guard was also 5-for-6 from behind the arc, tying the Xavier single-game NCAA record for made three pointers (also made five 3-pointers on March 19 vs Pitt).
• Jack Nunge posted his 12th double-double of the season, scoring 15 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. He finished the season with 28 double-figure scoring games.
• Colby Jones finished with 15 points on 7-for-15 shooting. He added seven rebounds, six assists and two blocks.
• Souley Boum added 12 points, two assists and two blocks. Jerome Hunter added seven rebounds and three points. Cesare Edwards chipped in five rebounds and two points.
• Xavier finished the game with a .438 field-goal percentage (28-for-64) and went 7-for-17 from behind the arc. The Musketeers were also 8-for-12 from the charity stripe.
• The Musketeers held a 13-0 advantage in second chance points and scored one more point off of turnovers (7-6). Xavier won the battle on the glass, 36-32.
• Texas held a 35-5 advantage in bench points and scored 12 more points in the paint (40-28).